District Mission Statement
Toms River Regional Schools is a community of dedicated students, professional staff, and supportive community members. Together we are committed to providing an innovative and rigorous educational experience that
aligns with and exceeds New Jersey Student Learning Standards
respects the dignity and safety of every person in the school community
- recognizes and nurtures the unique talents, interests, and experiences of each individual
- develops students into lifelong learners who are socially responsible, confident, value diversity, and are able to adapt to the present and future challenges of a complex world.
District Goals 2018-2019
Every year, the Board of Education works with district staff to look at key areas of academics and operations to define SMART (Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, and Timely) goals that guide nearly everything we do for the following year-- budgeting, purchasing, facilities planning, curriculum writing, community outreach, partnerships, and staff training, to name a few. Progress on these goals is provided midway during the year and achievement levels at the end of each year.
1. Student Achievement: Informed by key data from across all five annual goals, district staff will continue to build programs that promote future readiness, integrate content and skills, and personalize learning for all students.
2. Budget: Develop a financial plan to support our educational program that considers current and future losses in funding with a focus on facilities improvement and alternative revenue sources.
3. Facilities: Improve energy efficiency through successful implementation of the cost-neutral ESIP plan approved in 2017-2018 and educate the public on priority projects captured in the Rebuilding Our Schools plan completed June 2018.
4. Technology: Pilot and implement programs that promote computational thinking and its applications in preparation to meet new state requirements by 2021; support a whole child approach and improved data analysis to make informed decisions.
5. Community: Increase partnerships and community participation to advocate for the continued growth of exceptional student programs in the face of anticipated state funding cuts.
Approved by the Toms River Regional Board of Education August 15, 2018
REPORT ON ACHIEVEMENT OF 2017-2018 DISTRICT GOALS
Toms River Regional Schools are, above all, student centered. We recognize the classroom as a place where all students
- feel safe to learn, work together, and express themselves respectfully;
- are encouraged to discover and develop their interests and abilities, no matter what their present level of performance;
- are offered experiences in new and wider fields of knowledge that can make life richer and more satisfying.
We understand that all of a person's experiences influence that person's development. The curriculum of Toms River Regional Schools, therefore, embraces pupil opportunities-- classroom instruction, extracurricular activities, field experiences, social functions, and community projects-- that embrace the whole child. Recognizing and encouraging student choice and voice are fundamentally to achieving this vision.
Being a lifelong learner means not only developing habits of mind that include analysis, introspection, critical thinking, and problem solving, but also applying a mindset that ensures personal future readiness and becoming a socially responsible citizen: adaptability, flexibility, mindfulness, empathy, tolerance, open-mindedness, and grit. The district is committed to helping students strengthen these traits through authentic learning opportunities that connect them with their community and the larger world.
Many distinct but closely interrelated factors determine the degree to which we can create a positive and progressive learning environment. We acknowledge the importance of physical surroundings, but even more important are human relationships. Since our chief aim is to promote pupil growth through mutual understanding of our individual and common conditions, informal and friendly relationships are encouraged among teachers and pupils.
We believe that no educational philosophy can be static. The aims and policies of the Toms River Regional Schools are being continually reexamined in light of changing pupil and community needs and growth.