The History of Our School
The history of public education in Toms River goes back over 100
years to one room school houses in Cedar Grove, Chadwick Beach,
East Dover, North Dover, Silverton, West Dover and downtown Toms
River. The first high school graduating class was in 1891. The
Toms River Consolidated School District was formed by the voters
of Dover Township (renamed Toms River Township in 2007) and the
Boroughs of Beachwood, Pine Beach and South Toms River in 1949.
Previous to that, the School Board of Toms River accepted
students on a tuition basis. As post-World War II growth began
and new schools became necessary, the sending district
arrangement became absolute. A number of sending districts did
not join the new consolidated district. On December 8, 1964,
voters in Dover Township (now Toms River Township) and the
Boroughs of Beachwood, Pine Beach and South Toms River approved
the formation of the Toms River Regional School District.