High School East's anti-tobacco club, R.E.B.E.L. celebrated the Great American Smoke Out by encouraging tobacco users to quit for one day.
The Great American Smokeout is a National Day sponsored by the American Cancer Society. The hope is for tobacco users to quit for the one day. When they feel better after only one day of not using, the hope is they will remain tobacco free.
Tobacco Facts: Don't become a statistic!
- 1200 people die each day in our country from tobacco related illnesses.
- Smoking kills more people than AIDS, alcohol, drug abuse, car crashes, murders, suicides and fires..combined.
- Smoking is the leading preventable cause of death today.
- 3,000 people under the age of 18 become regular smokers every day.
- Children who don't think their parents will punish them for smoking are at a higher risk.
- A one pack-a-day smoker will pay approximately $10,950 over a period of 10 years in cigarette smoking expense alone.
- Children whose parents smoke have a much higher incidence of ear infections, bronchitis, pneumonia, and lung disease.